Teach in China

The most frequent question I get about studying abroad is: Can I find a burger with bacon and mashed potatoes on it in [name of desired study abroad destination]?

I bet that wasn’t what you expected. Probably because I just made it up. Actually, the question you most likely guessed would come up most is the one I get asked almost every time I talk to a student about studying abroad: How am I going to pay for it?

Generally, the answer involves financial aid, scholarships, student loans—there are many ways to pay for study abroad, every single one of them absolutely worth it. But some people just can’t make it happen. Does the conversation end there?

No.

For those who want to get out and see the world, there are options. Shoreline is one of a group of schools that works with Seattle Central College to offer the Teach in China program. Working with an education group based in Yangshuo, China (an amazingly beautiful place—a friend of mine planned to just pass through there, but ended up staying for almost a month), students spend a semester teaching English in a Chinese school. They are provided fully furnished apartments and paid a monthly salary of 4,500 RMB (which as of today is $724.11) for teaching 15 hours per week (probably working about 20-25 hours per week, including prep time).

This is plenty of money to live on in most parts of China. Especially since you don’t have to pay rent. You can read more about the program here, and of course contact me at studyabroad@shoreline.edu if you have any questions. I spent seven years teaching English in China, and I strongly encourage others to try it out.

And yeah, you can get a burger with bacon and mashed potatoes on it. At McDonald’s.SAMSUNG